Let’s Make An Adjustment – Rum Sour

A very sweet Rum Sour.  Two measures of Barcardi and sugar syrup; one measure each of freshly pressed lemon and orange juice; half and egg white and two dashes of Angostura Bitters.

A very sweet Rum Sour. Two measures of Bacardi and sugar syrup; one measure each of freshly pressed lemon juice and orange juice; half an egg white and two dashes of Angostura Bitters.

I’m quite proud of this if I do say so myself.  It’s fairly pretty yes, however, my pride comes from the fact I made my own adjustments on a base recipe and tailored it to a specific palate.

The palate in question, belonged to my mother.  A ridiculously sweet tooth with a love of Bacardi.  It was the latter that led to my brother and I nicknaming her in our younger years (and even now) as a “Rummy Mummy”.  Not to mention we soon learnt as youngsters to always smell mum’s drink before taking a sip as, more often than not, it’d have Bacardi in it.  I now like to mortify my mother by regaling this story to people as revenge for the embarrassing stories she’s got stored away about me.

Now for this recipe, I followed the basic form for a Sour.  Sour is the generic name, and it becomes a, say, Whiskey Sour on the addition of Bourbon or a Rum sour with the addition of Rum – you get the idea.

As you may recall, I did a Whiskey Sour for International Whiskey Day and followed Difford’s Formula to create a more sour drink.  So when my mother asked me to make a drink for her, I thought immediately to the Classic Formula.  So I checked Diffordsguide for the Rum Sour recipe and started to make changes.

So the changes are as follows:

  1. Substitute Bacardi 8 year old aged rum for Bacardi Superior (white rum).
  2. Add two measures of sugar syrup instead of one.
  3. Add two dashes of Angostura Bitters instead of one to allow for me using white rum.

I dry shook the ingredients first as the recipe contains egg white, so I want it to emulsify properly.

Now I feel that I cannot measure out half an egg white because, as you can see, the foam head is rather large.  I do often wonder if that is a result of dry shaking the ingredients first, but I have no idea.  I’ll run a few experiments at some stage to see.  Aside from that, the drink was very nice.  It is, as you might have guessed, very sweet.  Very, very sweet.  I’d have preferred to use one measure of sugar syrup, but each to their own.

It’s not a drink I’d make often.  However, this little experiment has given me a bit more confidence to go and make more adjustments to recipes to change the flavour subtly.  I can’t promise future successes, but I’ll bare all my failures here…. albeit buried in a success story somewhere.

Advertisements

One thought on “Let’s Make An Adjustment – Rum Sour

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s